Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Criteria for Reputable Books
Authoritative and credible books have these characteristics:
- published by a university press, academic publisher, or well-known publisher
- be wary of self-published or vanity press books
- the author's identity and qualifications are available
- has citations, footnotes or endnotes to support arguments (unless it is a memoir)
- has professional-level formatting, grammar, word usage, etc.
Tools for Book Evaluation
Examples of Reputable Books