Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Criteria for Reputable Website
Reputable websites have the following characteristics:
- one of these domains - .gov, .org, or .edu (except webpages of individuals)
- author(s) and qualifications are available - look for About Us
- authored by an organization or institution rather than an individual
- information has a current date of publication - see bottom of pages
- proper attribution given for quotes, paraphrases, and images
- evidence or citations provided to support arguments
- lack inflammatory language
- professionally done web design, grammar, word usage, spelling, etc.
Reputable Websites on Environmental Issues
What about Wikipedia? In general, it's not a credible website because individuals write the entries and don't undergo rigorous review. But the entries can be a good starting place for understanding a topic. Use the external links or references in an entry to progress to more credible sources.